Sunday, January 29, 2012

Home

Home.  Home is where you can rest.  Home is where you lay in bed for hours and eventually fall asleep.  Home is where you want to scream into your pillow. Home is where you can’t stop laughing. Home is where you argue.  Home is where you laugh.  Home is where you fight.  Home is where you smile.  Home is where you cry.  Home is where you make memories.  Home is where memories are being made.  Home is where you love.  Home is where you hate.  Home is where you feel safe.  Home is where you begin. And home is where you end.

Home is not a building with a roof and bricks. It’s not a warm bed with a nice pillow underneath you. It is where the heart is.  It’s where your family is.  It’s where you are.  And home is here. Where I live.  In Uganda.  Even when I want to scream.  It’s home.  Even when I want to run away and never come back, it is like a mother’s embrace whenever we drive into the driveway.

Sometimes I want to lock myself in my room and not talk to anyone, but when I hear Garrett’s laugh it’s like a bucket of cold water being dumped on my head on a hot summer day. When I cry in my pillow and pray for God to me take back to America and Annie says, “Even though we don’t like Uganda sometimes, God still wants us here.” it's a reminder that even my little 8 year-old sister knows where home is - not where we want to be, but where God wants us to be.

Home is in my brother’s kiss. Home is in my sister’s smile. Home is in my mother’s hug. Home is in my Dad’s laugh. Even when times are hard, I know I’m home. Because by the end of the day, when I crawl into bed, and close my eyes, I feel at home.

Laura and Benji playing Phase 10 :)
Annie and Garrett! I told them to smile, and this is what I got <3

Annie underneath the tree in our yard :)

Katelyn and Me <3
my Mom and Me :)
Photo credit to Danielle Gordon




1 comment: