Wednesday, March 7, 2012

What we are doing in Uganda!

You might be wondering 'What are you doing in Uganda?' well my dear followers i shall tell you :)
We didn't do much in Kampala, except for wait for God to tell us where to go. And now that we live in Gulu (i can not write words to describe how much we love Gulu!) my dad has been involved with going to the hospital with some of the Ugandan members of the church we go to here (Antioch Church Gulu) and praying and talking with the patients. Many times a patient has been healed and told one of the church members before they left for the village "Come and tell my village this good news that you have told me!"  So my dad and one of the Ugandan men go together to the patient's village and tells them the good news! 

Since moving to Uganda,  my family and I have wanted to work with orphans. But in Kampala we never had a car. Even if we DID own a car, my mom would NOT even dare to drive in Kampala! It is too insane!! 
So right before we moved to Gulu we purchased a CAR!!! It's amazing how free you feel when you can actually get out of the house without relying on a rented car!
So my mom (the stalker she is ;) started looking EVERYWHERE in Gulu for baby homes. We found a few but the one that stuck out most was Watoto Babies Home. So my mom and I went to coffee with Sarah (who goes around checking on all the Watotos in Uganda) and she told us that the little kids wouldn't be able to come, and my mom was only allowed to take us older kids one at a time! Haha no. So we prayed and prayed "God you called us to Uganda, what are you calling us to do? If Watoto is where you want us please change their hearts!" My mom decided that we should schedule a tour of the Watoto babies home in Gulu and then she would talk to the manager and just tell her that we grew up with babies so everyone knows how to handle them. When we got there the manger was not there :( So we took the tour and then they said "Ok now you can interact with the babies!" I went my separate way and went to play with the toddlers while the rest of my family went to help with the LITTLE babies. It was what God had called us to do! We all fell in love the moment we touched the children! I can't help but smile at the moment that i held one of the toddlers hand and the wonderful feeling that shot up my arm, this is what i was called to do while in Uganda! The women working at Watoto told us 'Thank you thank you! Please come back and help!' but we told them the sad news that we could not.


My mom knew that we all need to be working together as a family! So we continued our search. But prayed that God would change the hearts of the people at Watoto and allow our family to volunteer. So we made a plan, my mom was going to go and talk to the house manager of Watoto Gulu and tell her how well everything went and how the women working at Watoto wanted us to come back. Sadly though we set the plan to the side for a couple of weeks as we got very busy.

Then we had a dear friend Jessie over and mom and dad went on a date! There date started off by going to Watoto. We sat at home awaiting the news. The phone called, i happily answered it and my mom said 'She said yes!!!!!' I'm pretty sure that ALL of Gulu heard us scream! Apparently my mom met with the lady in charge of volunteers and my mom went along with the plan that we had so carefully prayed about and thought through :P The woman agreed and asked 'So how old are your children?' my mom knew that once she heard our ages that she would say no, so she quickly said that ages '15, 13, 12, 10, 8, and 6' and with the same breath said 'But they all grew up with babies so they know how to handle them!' The woman nodded and said that we could come Monday and Wednesday 3pm-5pm!! PRAISE JESUS! We are in love! We finally love Uganda! This is where God wants us!!!

We have friends and we have a ministry!! God is amazing!
I will try to post pictures later in the month of the precious babies that we are working with :)

For my mom's perspective on the whole adventure of finding our calling check out her blog SUUBI FAMILY

No comments:

Post a Comment